MaineCare’s Health Information Technology (HIT) Program
Overview of CMS s EHR Incentive Programs
The Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Program was created by the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH). CMS will administer the Medicare EHR Incentive Program and State Medicaid agencies will administer the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program.
The program pays 100% federally funded incentives to eligible professionals (EPs) and hospitals for adopting, implementing, upgrading (A/I/U) and demonstrating meaningful use (MU) of certified EHR technology.
- EPs may be eligible to receive either $63,750 in Medicaid payments or $44,000 in Medicare payments per provider.
- Hospitals may be eligible for an estimated total of $145M in combined Medicare and Medicaid payments across all Maine hospitals.
For more information on incentive payments, please select one of the following:
HIT in the News: EHR Incentive Program Updates
State Medicaid Health Information Technology Plan (.doc ) – Approved by CMS 5/2/2011
- CMS EHR Incentive Program Spotlight and Upcoming Events : Get the latest information about the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs. (Updated daily)
- Legislative Update: Net Average Allowable Costs (NAAC). View a summary of the federal government s legislative change to NAAC regulations. (12/30/2010)
- Maine Quality Counts (MQC) Webinar . A free, locally hosted and facilitated, Health IT Roundtable Ask the Experts monthly webinar series.
- ONC Video . Watch Dr. David Blumenthal, the National Coordinator for HIT, discuss the registration process for CMS EHR Incentive Programs. (1/12/2011)
- ONC Press Release : Read how providers and hospitals plan to adopt EHR technology and qualify for federal incentive payments. (1/13/2011)
EHR Incentive Program Planning Efforts
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has asked all State Medicaid agencies to begin planning for the EHR Incentive Program. Providers and other stakeholders have been involved in planning the program and defining the vision for HIT in concert with Statewide HIT efforts. MaineCare’s State Medicaid HIT Plan (SMHP) includes:
- An assessment of MaineCare s HIT assets
- A vision of MaineCare s HIT future
- A road map from the current state to the desired future
- A plan to implement the EHR Incentive Program
- An audit and oversight strategy for the EHR Incentive Program
MaineCare will post the final SMHP once it is approved by CMS.
During the development of the MaineCare HIT plan, meetings are being held with stakeholder groups. Below are the presentations from those meetings. Stakeholder meetings will continue and more materials will be posted here in the future.
If you would like MaineCare’s HIT team to speak at your event, contact us